Best Fall Vacation Ideas For Families
It’s the perfect time to start thinking abut fall vacation ideas for your family! Let’s be honest, fall is a wonderful season to plan a family vacation. It’s a time when the weather is cooler, the leaves are changing colors, and there are plenty of fun activities for families to enjoy together. And there’s something special about the crisp air and the stunning foliage that makes it the perfect time to come together as a family and make unforgettable memories.
So no matter where you live, there are always fun ways to explore after the summer ends, have a few more adventures and even have plan some awesome fall vacations (both big and small)!
In this blog post, we’ll explore 10 of the best fall vacation ideas for families, along with helpful travel tips to make your trip even more enjoyable. Whether you’re planning a short weekend getaway or a longer trip, we’re here to help you plan the perfect fall family vacation. So pack your bags, get ready for some fun, and let’s explore the best of fall travel together!
10 Best Fall Vacation Ideas For Families
Once the summer ends and you decide you don’t want the fun to stop- the only next step is to start planning a fall vacation! And don’t think these have to be big full blown vacations, although they most certainly can be- I don’t think that should be the overall goal.
For us, we love to have small trips throughout the year so we can have more of them and do them more often. Nothing worth than saving up all year for a big vacay and then depleting your travel budget and then not being able to do anything fun until the next year.
So here are some incredible fall vacation ideas that you can start researching and planning for your family!
New England Foliage Tour:
New England is famous for its stunning fall foliage, making it an excellent destination for a family vacation during the fall season. Some tips to make the most of your foliage tour are:
- Research the best time to visit: The peak foliage season varies depending on the location, so make sure to do some research beforehand and plan your trip accordingly.
- Pack warm clothes: Although the fall foliage may be beautiful, it can also be chilly, so make sure to pack warm clothes to stay comfortable during your trip.
- Take advantage of local attractions: Many towns and attractions in New England offer fall-themed events and activities, so be sure to check them out while you’re in the area.
Pumpkin Patches and Corn Mazes:
A trip to a pumpkin patch or corn maze can be a fun and memorable fall activity for families. Here are some tips to make the most of your visit:
- Wear comfortable shoes: You may be doing a lot of walking or standing on uneven ground, so wear comfortable shoes that can handle the terrain.
- Bring cash: Many pumpkin patches and corn mazes are cash-only, so make sure to bring plenty of cash with you.
- Check the weather: Some pumpkin patches and corn mazes may be closed if the weather is poor, so make sure to check the weather forecast before you go.
Fall is a great time to visit national parks, with fewer crowds and cooler temperatures. Here are some tips to help you plan your national park visit:
- Make reservations early: Popular national parks can book up quickly, so make your reservations early to secure your spot.
- Bring plenty of water and snacks: Many national parks are remote and may not have many amenities, so make sure to bring plenty of water and snacks to keep you fueled throughout the day.
- Check for closures and restrictions: Some trails, roads, or facilities may be closed due to maintenance, weather, or other reasons, so make sure to check for any closures or restrictions before you go.
A visit to an apple orchard is a great way to enjoy the fall season with your family. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your apple-picking adventure:
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes: You may be walking on uneven ground or reaching for apples, so wear comfortable clothes and shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Bring containers: Some apple orchards may provide bags or baskets for you to collect your apples, but it’s always a good idea to bring your own containers just in case.
- Check for other activities: Some apple orchards may offer other activities such as hayrides, cider tasting, or petting zoos, so make sure to check for any additional activities that may be available.
Oktoberfest celebrations are a fun way to experience German culture and food with your family. Here are some tips to help you plan your Oktoberfest visit:
- Plan ahead: Oktoberfest celebrations can get crowded, so plan ahead and arrive early to secure a good spot.
- Pace yourself: Oktoberfest celebrations often involve beer and other alcoholic beverages, so pace yourself and make sure to drink responsibly.
- Try the food: Oktoberfest celebrations feature a variety of traditional German foods, so be sure to try some of the local specialties.
Halloween Themed Attractions:
Halloween-themed attractions are a great way to get into the spooky spirit with your family during the fall season. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your Halloween-themed attraction visit:
- Check for age restrictions: Some Halloween-themed attractions may have age restrictions or be too scary for young children, so make sure to check ahead of time.
- Dress appropriately: Some Halloween-themed attractions may take place outdoors, so make sure to dress appropriately for the weather and wear comfortable shoes.
- Be prepared for crowds: Halloween-themed attractions can get crowded, so be prepared for long lines and plan your visit accordingly.
Although the weather may be cooler, a beach vacation in the fall can still be enjoyable, with fewer crowds and lower prices. Here are some tips to help you plan your beach getaway:
- Check the weather: While the fall season can be a great time to visit the beach, make sure to check the weather forecast ahead of time and pack accordingly.
- Research beach activities: Some beach activities may not be available in the fall season, so make sure to research what activities are available during your visit.
- Take advantage of off-season deals: Many hotels and rental properties offer off-season deals during the fall, so be sure to take advantage of any discounts or special offers.
Fall Road Trip:
A fall road trip can be a great way to enjoy the fall foliage and explore new destinations with your family. Here are some tips to help you plan your road trip:
- Plan your route: Make sure to plan your route ahead of time, taking into account any detours or scenic routes that you want to take.
- Pack a car emergency kit: Make sure to pack a car emergency kit with essentials such as a first aid kit, flashlight, and extra blankets.
- Take breaks: Road trips can be tiring, so make sure to take breaks and stretch your legs every few hours.
Fall festivals are a fun way to experience local culture and traditions with your family. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your fall festival visit:
- Research the festival ahead of time: Make sure to research the festival schedule, activities, and any fees or admission costs ahead of time.
- Bring cash: Many fall festivals are cash-only, so make sure to bring plenty of cash with you.
- Be prepared for crowds: Fall festivals can get crowded, so be prepared for long lines and plan your visit accordingly.
For families who love winter sports, many ski resorts across the US open in the fall for hiking and other outdoor activities, with skiing and snowboarding coming later in the season. Here are some tips to help you plan your ski resort visit:
- Check for early-season deals: Some ski resorts may offer early-season deals for fall visitors, so make sure to check for any discounts or special offers.
- Dress in layers: The weather can be unpredictable in the fall, so make sure to dress in layers to stay warm and comfortable.
- Research off-mountain activities: Some ski resorts may offer off-mountain activities such as spa treatments or shopping, so make sure to research what else is available during your visit.
Best Fall Vacation Ideas For Families This Year
Whether you’re looking for adventure or relaxation, there are many destinations that offer unique experiences during the fall season. From the colorful foliage of New England to the beauty of national parks, there’s plenty of opportunities to enjoy the season.
Start thinking about a few small trips you can get planned for our family this year!